Email post from Anne Burrell-Smith (email@example.com):
With the new year begin the changes I mentioned in my last email. Staying on top of these changes will make all of our lives easier! The Nucula system updated overnight with your 2016 certifications. Please review your new certifications at your earliest convenience. If you have questions regarding your new certifications please do not hesitate to contact me ASAP.
New Certification Appeals Process
The USTA is initiating a new procedure for Officials to appeal certification decisions, effective as of today! The process now states any member may file an appeal to the USTA Officials Committee if:
- The USTA refuses to approve the member’s application or certification category;
- The USTA decertifies the official.
- All appeals shall be in writing and on the form designated by the Officials Committee and sent by first class certified or registered mail to the Officials Chair, c/o of the Officials Department, 70 West Red Oak Lane, White Plains, New York, 10604. All appeals must be mailed within thirty (30) days of the decision. Any appeal not mailed within thirty (30) days, absent good cause shown, shall be barred.
- Any person submitting an appeal shall be entitled to prompt written notification of all decisions, which shall be sent by certified mail.
- Any member aggrieved by the decision may file a grievance in accordance with USTA Bylaw 43.
At this time, the NUCULA Appeals link will be deactivated and all Certification Appeals must be received via certified mail. All Certification Appeals must be submitted within 30 days, which is February 1st.
The USTA will be introducing new on-line training modules in 2016. In order to maintain certification, all Certified Officials will be required to complete the following courses by October 1, 2016:
- Introduction to Officiating
- Rules and Regulations 1
- Rules and Regulations 2
- Rules and Regulations 3
- Roving Umpire 1
The Introduction to Officiating and the Rules and Regulations modules are targeted to rollout sometime this month (January). The Roving Umpire 1 module is expected to be available in the 2nd quarter of 2016. You can work at your own pace through the modules. If you stop midway through one, you can pick up right where you left off.
FAC/Officiating Procedures and Techniques/USTA Officiating Certifications
As mentioned in my last email, you will notice significant changes to the 2016 FAC when it arrives. Many of the USTA Comments, the majority of Regulation VII and all of the ITA Regulation will be gone. Documents replacing this content have been drafted and should be available soon.
Last month the USTA sent out a detailed email regarding uniform changes! I encourage you to place your orders now for your new shirts, hats, etc, to be ready for the March 1st uniform changeover deadline.
New Procedure for Becoming an Official
The three basic requirements to become an Official under the new online modules training system are:
- Be a USTA Member.
- Complete the online Safe Play Training, which includes passing a criminal background check.
- Complete the Introduction to Officiating, Rules and Regulations modules, and Roving Umpire 1 (once available) to complete the testing requirement for Provisional Certification
Should have an update on ITA training/certification requirements soon. Will share that with each of you once it is received.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions on any of the information above. I will do my best to keep us all on track!
770 361 7800